The Dream Shake - a Houston Rockets blog: Game 5: Where Utah takes the night off

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Game 5: Where Utah takes the night off

Oh yeah! *That* was beautiful!!!

If you had told me a team would win by 26 points last night... I'm not going to lie, I would have suspected the winner would have been Utah. The Rockets are not exactly built to win playoff games by 26 points. We grind it out, wear you out - and then win by 5.

Utah disappeared last night. There is no other explanation.

Not that I am complaining - watching the Rockets kick ass and take names brought back fond memories of February and March. Good times. It also reminded me of 1994 and 1995. Even better times.

And, yes, the Rockets' defense is that good. Now you have more evidence.

Additionally, McGrady showed up for the fourth quarter, finished with 29 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists (and one gorgeous Kobe-esque fake-out of Andrei in the fourth quarter). Of course, McGrady did get a little jump shot happy and took about 4 more three-pointers than he should have (1-4 on the night). Nevertheless, he somehow finished with a 50% shooting night! A friend reminded me this morning that this is the first time in 23 games or so that McGrady shot 50% or better. Is T-Mac back???

Your obligatory Luis Landry line:

26 points (10-20 FG, 6-7 FT), 17 rebounds, 3 steals and 2 assists.

The Rockets won when Shane Battier couldn't do anything on offense. The Rockets won even though we let Luther Head sneak into the game for 14 minutes. Luther did absolutely nothing in those 14 minutes, but hopefully Ricky saw that and duct-tapes Luther to his locker before Game 6.

Of course, the most impressive thing about the whole night?

The Rockets shot 15-19 from the free throw line!!!
Only 4 missed FTs!!!


It's not record-breaking or anything, but I'll take 78% shooting from this gang any night.

The second most impressive thing about last night?

The Rockets won even though Steve Javie was the referee. Trust me, that scared the s--t out of me when Lee sent me a text message pointing out that Javie was in the building. Javie scares me and he is notorious for being unfriendly to the Rockets.

Bit of advice for Utah? Stop flopping...

Anyway, Game 6 is now 'necessary' (and Game 7 will be, too).

Go Rockets!

5 comments:

babat said...

When you get to see Chuck Hayes spinning to the basket(and actually hitting the nets)...then you know the Rockets are playing well...and that was the main reason they won last night. Everyone(especially the bench) held their own.

I concur that the Jazz took the night off...for one brief moment I had to pinch myself not to feel sorry for them when they had that back to back turnover and when Okur and Kirilenko fumbled a rebound

I think the coach did well to give Deke more minutes and I would love to see that continue...btw am I the only one who wants to see less of Luther Head and more of Mike Harris?

Unknown said...

babat, I've been driving the "less Luther, more Mike Harris" bandwagon since the end of Game 1. Luther is too small for this series, and Harris has the toughness and nose-for-the-ball we need on the defensive end.

Unknown said...

I can't see Mike Harris doing any worse then Luther Head. When Luther Head goes in I just let out a groan. The guy has just played terrible this series.

Xiane said...

What I want to know is why we signed Loren Woods, instead of the NBA equivalent of one of The Hansen Brothers? Wouldn't it be nice to have a thug to send out to put a little fear into Utah? Woods is just anchoring the bench anyway.

When was the last time a Rocket player frightened anyone (physically)? Deke has mellowed and he's too vital to lose now, anyway. So was it Mad Max? Mr. Mean? Dream himself? Anyway, its been a while.

Maybe we have Chuck Hayes spend the off-season learning MMA?

sterica said...

Do you realize the Jazz playoff record after humiliating losses like these?

The Rockets would have been better off winning by 5, trust me!